I just had to share a thought or three with ya'll.
I remember the time Daddy and Mama were in the front seat and I was in the backseat. We rode by a dairy farm. The beautiful cows were enclosed in their fence, right there...just fence and the ditch-bank between us. I just sat, mesmerized by what I saw, dreaming about how completely and absolutely sweet their eyes looked. So peaceful. Lovely and peaceful were their eyes---all of them alike.
I opened my mouth, like 5-year-olds will, and said aloud what I wondered about.
"I wonder if we are "born again", would God let me come back as a cow?" (Good listener at church, I was. NOT! We were Baptists, not Hindu!)
Mama's head swirled around. "Where did you learn about Hinduism??!"
I could tell she was not happy---after all, we were Southern Baptists! But, I thought to myself, what is Hinduism?
I asked what that word meant and she explained the best she could to her 5-year-old.
"Will they really come back as cows, Mama?"
She said no, that God doesn't let people come back as animals like that. He made us in His image, Adam from dust, and Eve from Adam's rib. Then she wondered, again, why I wanted to "come back as a cow."
" 'Cause, Mama---look! They're so peaceful and happy! They seem to have ---like...like a peace in them. Don't you see it?"
She and Daddy had stopped their arguing when I mentioned my peaceful cow wish. They were quiet. All the way home. Their quiet didn't last through the night, though.
No, it wasn't peaceful at my home when I, at night, often went into the woods. It was near our house, but far enough to where I couldn't hear them. I slept out there. It was peaceful. When I came in the next morning, no one ever said a thing.
I also spent some time, later on, playing my own game of "hide and seek". (This is not a game I'd dare again. Who knows who they really suspected!?)
They hid bottles, and I came upon them under the linens, in drawers, the wardrobe, etc. I would take them out to the woods, pour it all out, throw the bottles as far as I could.
Satisfying sound. I remember one phase I went through where I would fill the bottles with water and replace them. ( I was really "feeling it" after all those years.) My brothers had already moved out.
Strangely enough, neither of my parents Ever said anything to me about any of it. I guess they knew....
This "Silent Disease" is really deafening at times, huh?
Mama and Daddy both stopped drinking when we explained to them that our new baby, Sherry, couldn't stay with them. I just wanted her to be safe, I told them.
They both looked stricken, but honestly, I never intended it to ever hurt them. Soon, Mama went into a state hospital, staying months, and continued going to AA meetings. We went and took Sherry,(apparently the "golden child") twice a week when we were allowed.
Daddy had about stopped drinking anyway. He stayed with us from suppertime through breakfast and went on with his day.
Sherry was only 4 when Daddy died. We had Mama move in with us for almost a year. She found her calling just like her mother, (my precious Bammie). They both found many widows who were afraid to stay alone. So they, in their own eras, had them to look after! They loved them each one like family, and we got to know them, too.
I was 21 when Daddy died, the very same age Mama was when her daddy, 49, was hit and killed on the way home from a little store. He was found in a ditch. Maybe he didn't suffer, I hope; it was 10 days before Christmas Day that year.
Daddy's daddy passed away from cancer at age 49---when Daddy was 21.
Truth really is stranger than fiction, huh!
This post has really wandered more than usual---if you made it this far. From peaceful cows to this stuff. 😎
I wish peaceful thoughts to youall. ❤
'the wanderer'
I can relate, sadly. We'd find bottles in unusual places like the toilet tank for one. That subject was taboo for us. It was our mother, and nary a word was spoken about it. She stopped in her late 50's, but that didn't take away the memories.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry your daddy died so young.
(hugs)
Oh, Sally, I'm so, so sorry. (hugs for you!) Back then, I didn't know other children came and went back to the same thing as I. Many, much worse!
DeleteNobody ever told anything about all the years before alcoholism became a 'disease'. There are only a very small amount of people who actually would ever say anything about the trauma they went through all because children were "left behind". Left scarred on the battlefields of things our tender minds couldn't bear, wouldn't dare, to speak of.
Mama was about 56, too. You might understand then, when I walked into the house each day, one look in her eyes...and I just knew.
When she gave it up for our little girl, I thought for just a second, "Why wasn't I worth that?" But then, I was just relieved, and it was for me as well! That part of my life was finally in the past. You're right about memories.
Now I have grandchildren, I know how much she must have had to deal with back then, to stop... Daddy was nearly ten years older than Mama. I had a miscarriage in my 7th month that same year he died, and my husband's dear oldest brother died of cancer, too.
I still miss Daddy and Mama! I always have and will. I was never anywhere near perfect---but I broke that chain....
My children didn't have that warzone to deal with!
And, at least for then, we were safe! :)
Thank you for sharing this, and understanding what some children have to live with. And, alcoholism is a disease but when you're a child you don't understand that. God bless you.
DeleteI also think cows are very peaceful looking.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you had such a rough childhood, but glad to read things changed for both of your parents. I am sorry for your loss of them.
Came here from Ernestine's blog.
FlowerLady
Hi, Flower Lady! Welcome. I think I brought this up because I knew it couldn't hurt my parents. I could never hurt them with this, because I did love them! I feel so bad for them! I'm not sure people always "do their best with what they have." It doesn't make sense! My brother (10 years older) said it didn't really escalate until he was a 10-years old. The year I was born.
DeleteI know children have it much worse today, with drug addicted parents nowadays. I had food, a roof over my head, hand-me-downs to wear! It all
Come by again if you like!made me what I am today---a very imperfect human!
Come by again!
Cows have the longest eye lashes and they do look peaceful and in reality, they are. Content and peaceful. My parents didn't drink, but my Dad was nonetheless harsh in his criticism of me. And, I wonder...why would Southern Baptist church-goers drink and fight? I always thought they were the strictest of religions against that sort of thing?
ReplyDeleteJudy, I read between your lines; I knew he never sounded warm to me!
DeleteAnother little girl---hurt by by things they'll never understand...You wonder why you were the scapegoat! I wonder, too!
Oh, Southern Baptists are human like everyone!(They may go out of town to an ABC store!) :) I think Independent Baptists may have a higher code. ;)
IMO -- When the the Bible and prayer were removed from schools--America started to deterioràte more.
Fascinating! I love hearing your stories - even the painful ones. It's good you are writing them down. Your children and grandchildren will have them.
ReplyDeleteRegarding your comment to Judy - we were independent Baptist and looking back now - I can see we were almost like a cult. I like the term Ed Young, Jr uses - Christ Follower - and he jokingly says he is a 'recoevring Baptist!'